Woolwich Polytechnic Junior Technical School for Boys was established in 1912 to train boys for jobs at engineering works. The school became the responsibility of London County Council in 1956 as Woolwich Polytechnic Boys School.
In 1974, the Poly was reorganised as a six-form entry comprehensive school spread over two sites. Years 1 and 2 (now 7 and 8) remained in MacBean Street, while the Upper School occupied the premises of the old Woolwich Central School in Sandy Hill Road.
In 1997, the school was designated a Technology College. The school maintained a presence in Woolwich up to 1999 when the Upper and Lower Schools were combined in the former Waterfield School buildings in Thamesmead.
Previously a community school administered by Royal Greenwich, Woolwich Polytechnic School converted to academy status on 1 August 2014. The school converted to a Multi Academy Trust and the girls’ school will join this Trust in September 2019.